Water damage can cause major problems in a home. Water damage can occur to anyone, due to a variety of reasons. Water damage can be caused by:
– Water leaks. Burst pipes are the most frequent cause of restoration of water damage. Water damage caused by a storm and a roof leak are also reasons to consider. In the majority of cases however, the damage caused by a burst pipe is the most costly as it involves going to the attic, which typically means tearing down the ceiling or the roof.
– Drying. This is a less frequent cause for the restoration of water damage costs however it’s still worth mentioning. Standing water foot baths (or showers) are those that have no water coming out of the shower head. If the walls or floor are wet, they may dry out quickly due to the fact that they are so damp. The growth of mold can occur if the water evaporates too quickly.
– Average Cost of Water Damage Restoration. The average cost of restoration for water damage varies according to the extent of the damage. A leaky pipe or small damage will usually cost less than a quarter of the cost of hiring a restoration company. Damage that is significant enough to cause a building to be shut down for a few days and is covered by insurance will usually cost more than half the average repair costs for water damage.
– Carpets drying out. If your house is in need of extensive water damage restoration work it could mean that all the carpets in the room must be taken away and replaced. This will increase the cost of your repair job because you will have to purchase new carpeting and/or padding.
– Leaking Pipes. It is rare that a pipe leak is caused by restoration of water damage. In many instances the water damage may simply be due to poor maintenance. A blocked sink, toilet, or drainage system can cause water damage round all hours of the day, even during an emergency. In this instance, the typical cost of the repair would be around two-thirds of what it would cost to replace the carpeting.
– Drying Wet Carpeting. If your home is submerged in water, your carpet is likely to need to be dried out in the shortest time possible and could cost you more than one-fourth of restoration costs for water damage per square foot. If you are required to clean up a flooded basement the drying process could be quicker because the lower levels are typically dry. However, even the basement is dry, it may have water damage beneath the carpeting due to the contraction and expansion that occurs when water dries. Calculate the area of the room, divided into square feet. Then, divide that number by the cost of water damage restoration per square foot. Read more about Cladosporium mold now.
– Drying and Spills Sometimes water damage restoration companies are called in on extremely wet days. The spillage must be cleaned up immediately after it occurs. The area affected by the spill has to be cleaned and sanitized which means you’ll need to hire a plumber to remove all the mess and make sure the area is dry. For larger spills, particularly if they are underneath carpets or behind wallpaper it is possible to have the carpet pulled up and replaced altogether. When the area is dry, the restoration company that repairs water damage will have to dry the area, which can cost more than hiring an experienced water damage restoration service in the first place.